Santana Jr. Riding Into Springboard Mile With Extra Motivation

Santana Jr and Hence winning the Governor’s Cup
When Ricardo Santana Jr. rides on Sunday’s Remington Park card, it will end an exciting week for the jockey.

Last Saturday he welcomed his first daughter into the world. He returned to the saddle on Thursday at Fair Grounds but admits flying to Remington for nine rides – including Bankit in the Springboard Mile – will be hard.

“It’s pretty hard but this is my job and this is what I have to do,” he said. “I know that when she’s older she will know what my job is. It’s pretty hard to take some time off but it’s also hard to be away from her.”

With nine mounts Sunday, Santana Jr. hopes to replicate or even better the day he had on the Oklahoma Derby card where he won five races. He’ll be back on a few of those winners Sunday with Adore and Hence both trying to win back-to-back Remington stakes. While Hence has run since his Governor’s Cup Stakes victory, Adore is returning to the race for the first time post-victory.

His Springboard Mile mount Bankit has never raced at Remington Park, but for Santana Jr. that’s not a worry. He says his experience riding Asmussen’s horses regularly helps him know what to expect even when they are on unfamiliar tracks.

“I work the horses most of the mornings and when I go over to Remington I know what I’ve got in my hands,” he said. “So I feel very confident and comfortable riding the horse everywhere we go.”

As for riding on Sunday, he is hoping to visit the Remington winner’s circle on all his mounts, but especially Bankit, with his daughter providing extra motivation.

“She’s doing good, we brought her home Monday and she’s doing great. I’m really grateful and I’m really happy. Now I need to work hard. To be honest with you, I want to win the race. It’s really important for me and my daughter now. I want to win the race for her.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bargain Sire: Tale of the Cat

The Impact of El Prado

New Stallion: Honor Code